Saturday, July 02, 2011

What have you done for ME lately?

We took the two oldest of the Grimes clan (remember, we kiddo swap with them) with us to the drive-in on Wednesday. We may have used the borrowed trucks bed as a giant sized kiddie corral. It was fun. We saw Cars 2 and I was reminded that when we first started watching the kids the oldest (we'll call him J) was always telling us how cool Lightning McQueen was. Only he used the t sound for the c sound and thus was always telling us how tool Lightning MtTween was. It was hilarious. He now pronounces everything correctly and also thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Impressively he stayed up for the whole thing.

On the way home the girls were conked out, but J wanted to know where his youngest brother (S) was and if he would be at the house. I told J that S would be staying the night with a friend of mommy's. But I couldn't remember the name of said friend and was trying to get J to understand. So I asked if he remembered the church he went to with mommy before they moved, the one they still go to with Grandpa and Nanny. But I wasn't speaking his language. Because of the every other weekend custody agreement, the kids have 2 churches that are "their church." But it all got confused when I was using my labels. J let me know how he keeps track by asking me, "Do you mean the doughnut church, or the lollipop church?" At 1027, J gets doughnuts. At his other church, the kids get lollipops. It is a great way to keep the churches straight in a 5 year old mind. I have since started using those labels.

Here is the thing though. I realized I do this too. I label the church, my neighborhood, my school and for me especially my relationships based on what I am getting out of them. That is my fun friend, that is my mom-advice friend, that is my God friend, and sometimes I think, that friend isn't getting me anything.....why is she in my life again? Why go to the doughnut church if the doughnuts have stopped coming? Why go to the lollipop church if the candy counter is closed?

I'm not saying it isn't important to make sure we are being fed. Or that we shouldn't have our needs met by the church, or the relationships we participate in. I am just saying.....Maybe my primary label of people shouldn't be all about what they can get me.

Man, I was intending this post to be light. And here I go exposing my dirty under-belly for all the internet to see.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed (as a parent who gets frustrated when my kiddos aren't grateful for something I've gotten them) how patient and loving and FULL OF GRACE God is when I don't appreciate what He has given me...when I'm in that "me" mindset you wrote about and don't see the beauty or benefit of His gift. Sadly I think that's too often! May I join you in the leagues of the "dirty bellied"?